Wednesday, June 30, 2010

93- What You Leave Behind

Helped a good friend move tonight. And by "help", I really mean that I sat on the bed reading a magazine, while she talked out her plans. She is on the cusp of some major publication news and packing for a three week vacation/trek to Vietnam, while orchestrating her own repatriation back to Canada.

"Is it strange that I don't feel anything right now?" she asked.
"No," I answered. "I think that's probably really normal. You don't have time to feel anything right now. You're too busy doing it."

Her apartment had boxes waiting to be shipped, cords, cooking implements, sheet music, half a dozen of pairs of salsa shoes, and old journals. How to decide what to keep and what to throw away? In these moments of transition, we decide what's really important... and what doesn't really matter all that much at all. Sometimes the choices shock us. Sometimes they're reassuring. Sometimes they're difficult, but sometimes they happen as naturally as breathing. My hope is that we all of us leave this season in our lives as better versions of the people we were meant to be.

No comments: