Sunday, September 12, 2010

19 - Common Denominator

I'm always fascinated by the activities that bring people together. Was at a party this evening and it was interesting to note the different interests that actually draw people out of their houses to meet with one another. Yoga, sports, drinking, travel, food, and TV shows seemed to be common denominators.

From my experience, the single most unifying force for me out here has been my church. I've used it as the source of my social network, support system, and entertainment hub. I'm fortunate because this particular church, for all its quirks and oddities, has an intensely diverse cross-section of human experience. There are parents with babies, parents with teenagers, retirees, single military personnel, married military personnel, as well as us 20-something English teachers. This mecca of wisdom and experience comes together on Sunday morning and I would be more likely to call in sick to work than I would be to miss church.

Creating community is a vital activity and one that I don't take lightly. As I'm preparing myself to go through this building process once more with new people in new places, I look at what I have right now and realize the many ways I am truly blessed in this situation right now.

No comments: